Friday, October 23, 2009

My Son's Family History Interest

Recently, my son and I were flying home from attending a memorial service for a family member who unexpectedly passed away at a fairly young age. Midway home, he asked me a question that somewhat surprised me, "Mom, do you know when other people in our family died and what they died from?"

The reason this surprised me is because I've researched and recorded our family history nearly all of my son's life. This taught me that while we assume other people know we are family historians, they probably don't know we are.

I also realized at that moment that our children are generally not interested in family history until they are adults and/or close family members die.

Next: Family Collaboration

1 comment:

  1. Great post, and this is so true! I'm going to feature your blog on the next Family History podcast episode. :-) Lisa

    ReplyDelete